Vet Student Gives Sheltie A Second Chance

on 05/27/2016 - 01:08 am

An adorable Sheltie from Portland was given a second chance at life thanks to a vet student who made a life-saving discovery a minute before the pup was to be euthanized.  Ollie, a 10-year-old Sheltie, Portland, Oregon, became almost completely paralyzed after returning home from a camping trip. Ollie would not eat and appeared increasingly lethargic.
Ollie’s family took him to their regular veterinarian who conducted tests, including blood work and X-rays. Unfortunately, their vet could not figure out what was wrong with Ollie. Ollie’s family made the hard decision to put Ollie down two weeks after returning home from their camping trip.
Neena Golden, visiting vet student ...

Groomer arrested after dog dies in his care

on 05/18/2016 - 08:54 pm

A groomer from San Mateo was arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty after one of his clients, a 1-year-old Dachshund named Henry, died during under his watch.The San Mateo police responded to a report that the young dog died about 5:15 p.m. on Sunday at a PetSmart store.Officers spoke with Henry's owner, a 47-year-old man from San Mateo, who said he brought Henry to the pet supply store to be groomed.
 
The groomer, 38-year-old Juan Zarate of San Francisco, came out from the grooming office and said that Henry was having a medical emergency three minutes into his appointment. Henry was bleeding from the mouth and struggled to breathe on his own.
 
According to police, Zarate b ...

Sammie and Simon: Forging an Unbreakable Bond

on 05/11/2016 - 07:36 pm

A border collie named Simon and his new friend Sammie have gone viral after a photo of the two of them was posted online last week.
In the photo, Simon, a border collie suffering from mange and neglect, appears to be reaching out to Sammie, a 3-month old boxer, in his time of need. Sammie suffered two broken legs, and a severe head injury after he had been shot, dragged behind a car and spray painted, according to a post on a fundraising page set up by Rescue Dogs Rock NYC.
Both Simon and Sammie had been abandoned and left for dead.
“Sammie accepted Simon’s soft touch and was grateful for the love and affection that Simon showed him,” the post stated.
Nikki Jones, veter ...

Recall Alert: Carnivore Vital Essentials Dog Food

on 01/27/2016 - 07:14 pm

Carnivore Meat Co. voluntarily recalled a single limited lot of Vital Essentials Frozen Chicken Patties Entrée for Dogs.
All 6 lb. bags with the UPC code 33211 00807, lot number 11475, and best by date of November 8, 2016 (located on the back of the bag), have been recalled.
The recalled lot was shipped to California, Florida, Georgia, Rhode Island, Texas and Washington.
On June 3, 2015, the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) notified the company that one of the samples collected tested positive for Salmonella.
According to the FDA, symptoms of Salmonella infections in animals include: lethargy, diarrhea (which can be bloody), fever, vomiting, decreased appetite, fever and ...